NYE Style Ideas
It’s supposed to be beyond Brrr for NYE this year. As in negative 15 degrees Brrr! Outside it may be winter, but inside, at the places to be in town, it’ll be so hot (I hope) with the crowds, the dancing, and warm spirits.
Practical apparel for a frigid winter’s night doesn’t interest me when it comes to New Year’s Eve. It’s all about fashion, fun, and ringing in a stylish New Year. So, I went shopping at Posh Boutique with one of my Besties, Mariah, to try on fun NYE ideas…and a couple of fun post-holiday outfits too, because…why not?
What to Wear on NYE
Part of finding the right NYE outfit is knowing where you’re partying at and who you’re partying with. Denim with a classy fun top can be perfect for spending New Year’s Even at a house party.
Staying In? Let’s face it, when you, your family, and/or your friends all have younger kids at home, ringing in the New Year at a bar may lose its luster. Yet, it’s still fun to be dressy and feel good about what you’re wearing, right? Even if it’s just you and/or your immediate family spending the night in, giving the evening a sense of occasion just feels right.
- Mariah is so Classic Hollywood and so is the Current Air long-sleeve top ($39) she’s wearing.
- I tried the BB Dakota Roslyn top ($66) and loved it. Again, it goes well with a strong red lip, which I love, love, love!
- We both fell head over heels in love with the Adriano Goldschmied (AG) Farrah Skinny Jeans ($225). So comfy and sexy! Mariah’s look embraces the cuff look to pop the shoes.
Style Tips and Tricks
I love shopping with Mariah, because she always has some great idea that I have never thought to try. Check out her belt loop blousing trick:
“Sometimes tucking stuff in is a pain in the butt, yet I like the look of something a little more bloused, so I hook the shirt through a front belt loop and then tuck the end into the pants and then cover the belt loop,” said Mariah as she explained her technique. “I don’t like sloppy, loose and baggy things. I don’t want it to be super tight all the time either. I have no idea how I decided to try it. Maybe I was missing those t-shirt buckles from the ‘80s.”
Going out on the town? Dresses, rompers, and jumpsuits are my go-to’s for a nice night out. Add some sparkle, a fun detail, and/or a strong color for a NYE to remember.
Left to Right:
- The little red dress with a strong red lip is one of my favorite looks! I love the ruffle trend, because it’s all frilly and girly. There’s no such thing as too many ruffles so far as I’m concerned. The one I’m wearing is by Esley ($59).
- Glitzy romper anyone? At first, I thought, “Oh no. No way. This is not going to work at all on me.” Tina, one of the managers at Posh suggested I give the Odelia Romper by BB Dakota ($114) a try. So, I did. You know what’s awesome about a romper? There are no wardrobe malfunction worries. When I had it on, I felt sexy and confident that I wouldn’t flash anyone. Win-win.
- Mariah looks like she is having fun without leaving the store in the Tawny Sleeveless Dress ($74).
- And like she’s having even more fun in the gorgeous Veronica M Tulip Skirt ($82)
Looking ahead to My 2018 Daily Style Goals
I want to embrace paradoxes in clothes that are both luxe and relaxed, girly and edgy, and comfy and sexy. That’s all I want – just everything. I think these looks will help me achieve those goals:
- There’s something about a sweater with a cut-out around the neckline. I love that you can either skip the necklace, because of the detailing or frame a delicate necklace and make it pop with the cutout of the black sweater she is wearing. And doesn’t Mariah look all 1920s glam with the way the wind curled the one loose strand of hair? I love it!
- What’s not to love about a shirt with thumbholes at this time of year? Keep my hands a little warmer? Yes, please! The Allen Allen Thermal Thumbhole Shirt ($70) in sangria is so soft and luxurious. I also have on the cozy and comfy She + Sky Batwing Cardigan in Oatmeal ($52), and am carrying a Moda Luxe purse ($69).
- In the first two pics, Mariah and I are still in the AG Denim. It’s really that amazing.
- I felt girly with some grit and power in the army green Sanctuary Cordelia Sweatshirt ($79) with Citizens of Humanity Rocket High Rise Skinny Jeans ($218). Quick theater nerd moment, Cordelia is one of my all-time favorite Shakespeare characters. She’s the daughter who sticks by her morals and loses everything, but her integrity in King Lear. I still have her monologue memorized and can spew it off anywhere at anytime. So, knowing the name of the sweatshirt makes me LOVE it even more!
Shopping at Posh…
I’ve been to Posh Boutique before. It reminds me of being at a Las Vegas boutique and makes me feel like I’m shopping collections that have been curated, just so. It was Mariah’s first time through the store doors, so I had to ask…
What did you think about Posh?
I like the atmosphere. The variety of clothes. The selection was very different from anything else I’ve seen in Rochester. The styles were fun. They had gorgeous colors. The big dressing rooms.
The dressing rooms are awesome and perfect for trying on and then showing friends the styles. See:
It’s so good to have a friend you can be a goof with! If you don’t have a friend like that I highly recommend you find one. It’s a style essential and keeps a person from taking themselves too seriously (imho).
Are you a big fan of a strong red lip? My favorite is the Royal Jelly Lipstick in Royal Ruby. Not only is the color hot, hot, hot (imho), the lipstick has Vitamin E and Royal Jelly in it, making it healing and moisturizing, i.e. perfect for lips that have to endure Minnesota winters!