What’s a better way to start Saint Patrick’s Day than green pancakes and raspberries? Making those pancakes healthy and shamrock shaped!
It’s easy to give baked goods a health boost and make them green with a little help from Matcha. While Matcha is best known as the most potent member of the green tea family (it’s the tea leaves ground up, increasing its concentration), Matcha can be used as an antioxidant rich natural food dye. 9 Benefits Of Matcha Tea That Will Make You Want To Drink It Every Day.
Matcha Shamrock Pancakes
231 calories, 6g protein, more nutrition details below.
Special Equipment: 3 3/8″ Metal Shamrock Cookie Cutter (purchasing details below)
- 1/2 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour (One reason I prefer unbleached flour: this Cook’s Illustrated article.)
- 1 Tbsp.Matcha Tea Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (You could use a 1/2 Tbsp. of baking powder. I just don’t have that measuring spoon in my kitchen.)
- 1/8 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened organic coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Whisk together dry ingredients. I love to measure and put dry ingredients together first, because it makes for a more efficient clean up. How? It’s easy to rinse off measuring cups and spoons before using them to put together wet ingredients. In my experience, it doesn’t work as well in reverse.
- Whisk together wet ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Put a good sized pan on a burner set to medium. Spray pan with cooking spray of choice. Set metal shamrock cookie cutter on pan. Use a 1/4 cup and a spoon to scoop pancake mix into the cookie cutter. Lift cookie cutter up. Repeat steps until you’ve made the desired number of pancakes.
- Once the shamrock shaped pancakes have begun to bubble and their bottoms firm, flip them over. A couple minutes later, flip again. They should be ready!
I love load up on antioxidants and vitamin C by topping my pancakes with raspberries. Strawberries and blueberries would be fantastic on these too! A drizzle of organic, local honey tops my pancake stack.
Have you given this recipe a try? I’d love to hear from you! Please take a picture and tag me on Instagram @melissa_j_peterson.
Love raspberries? Check out my Better-for-You Raspberry Scones recipe.
All products featured on 40 Fit N’ Stylish are independently selected. When you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.